This is “ReSolve’s Riffs” – live on YouTube every Friday afternoon to debate the most relevant investment topics of the day.
Our guest this week was none other than Meb Faber (co-founder and CIO of Cambria Investment Management), a well-known quant and prominent member of the FinTwit community. In addition to being an asset manager, he is an entrepreneur and venture capitalist, not to mention host of a popular podcast – and therefore an entertainer at heart. We enjoyed a wide ranging conversation including topics such as:
- The ‘mental gymnastics’ of contemplating ideas that are likely being ignored by most investors
- Crowded vs contrarian trades
- Preference falsification in polling, the role of inertia and the endowment effect
- North America’s impossibly complicated retirement systems vs Australia’s superannuation
- Financial education, incentives, and the enormous room for policy improvements
We also discussed the importance of properly framing conversations, especially in the realm of policymaking (Universal Basic Income vs Freedom Dividend), some of Meb’s recent venture capital investments and a whitepaper that’s coming down the pipe.
Thank you for watching and listening. See you next week.