This is “ReSolve’s Riffs” – live on YouTube every Friday afternoon to debate the most relevant investment topics of the day.
Over the last few years, the topic of mental health, once taboo, has been recognized as a crucial component of our general well-being. Yet depression, anxiety and other ailments of the mind remain largely a silent epidemic, and the last twelve months have been particularly hard because of the loneliness many have endured due to the lockdowns.
Our guest this week was Matt Zerker, former Portfolio Manager at ReSolve and now Founder & CEO of tethr.
Our conversation included:
- Matt’s life journey struggling with depression, losing a close friend, finding a support group and ultimately landing on a path towards his true calling
- No man is island – we all yearn to belong
- ABC – always be compassionate
- Resisting, suppressing, blocking – it’s much healthier to let go
- Why men find it harder to admit they are struggling, especially in finance
- Physiological responses, emotional interpretations and feedback loops
- How to shorten the reaction times of negative responses and build new (and more positive) neural paths
We also discussed the role of psychedelics, Jason’s experience with Trading Tribe, and how to detach one’s ego from destructive narratives. This was a deeply personal conversation and a true homecoming for Matt, and we hope it can help to spread the word on the importance of mental health in our community.
Thank you for watching and listening. See you next week.