This is “ReSolve’s Riffs” – live on YouTube every Friday afternoon to debate the most relevant investment topics of the day, hosted by Adam Butler, Mike Philbrick and Rodrigo Gordillo of ReSolve Global*.
Jim O’Shaughnessy (chairman and co-CIO of O’Shaughnessy Asset Management) is a Wall Street legend. He is one of the “OGs” of quantitative investing, a best-selling author, and more recently also turned podcaster with his Infinite Loops channel. Jim joined us for a roller-coaster of a conversation that covered:
- The beauty of marrying science fiction with real science
- Interviewing people you look up to, and why “no man is a hero to his valet”
- A fast-changing world requires non-linear thinking
- Aspirational leadership and nurturing self-confidence
- Acquiring knowledge, mental models and the future of education
- How openness to failure can set us up for success
- Unrelenting optimism – buying the call option on mankind
We also discussed the future of the wealth advisory industry, which Jim is confident will be highly dependent on client customization, and we could have easily gone on for a few more hours. But Jim lost his connection towards the very end, mid-laugh (a memorable snapshot for those of you also watching), leaving Adam, Mike and Richard to riff by themselves for the last few minutes.
Thank you for watching and listening. See you next week.